Charlotte Hall School (Military Academy) was established in 1774 to provide for the liberal and pious education of youth to better fit them for the discharge of their duties for this country. It was one of the oldest educational institutions in the United States, fully acredited by the State of Maryland Department of Education.
The landed estate of the school embraced 300 acres. The School was non-sectarian and of high moral tone. There were many illustrious graduates, persons of all major professions, clergy and congressmen.
The School closed its doors in 1976 because of increasing financial problems. The Board of Trustees continues to be active, disbursing funds for college scholarships to local high school graduates from moneys bequeathed to the school for this purpose while it was in existence. There is an active alumni association which holds a reunion biennially, every even year.
C.H.M.A. Brochure that was placed in the St. Mary's County Visitor Information Center, located in the former Headmaster's House.
1774 - 1976 POBOX 587
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622